Email AdultMusings@gmail.com with sites you recommend, ideas for us to write about, or to submit articles you have written.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ciao Baby

(Funny Words)

Okay, I'm having a little problem with some word usage here. Did you ever notice those Italians saying "ciao" as a greeting and then to mean goodbye as well. Can someone please make up their mind here. It's just not right to have the exact same word mean two exact opposite things. Can you imagine for instance having one word mean "left" and "right"? No one would be able to understand each other's directions. Or how about having one word mean "more" and "less". To be fair, I did look it up and there are a few other dialects that have also chosen one word for hi and bye. We have "aloha" in Hawaiian, "shalom" in Hebrew, "salam" in Arabic, and then there's "annyeong" in Korean. It's all so confusing to those of us with limited linguistic abilities (yes, that'd be me).

Have you ever heard someone say, "Sometimes I just don't know if I'm coming or going." I wonder if they were Italian. Ciao a tutti.

No comments:

Post a Comment